RE: Listers Turn Out For Vintage Gran Prix au Grattan

To: <John.Deikis@med.va.gov>
Subject: RE: Listers Turn Out For Vintage Gran Prix au Grattan
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 06:23:52 +1000
Cc: "Team-Thicko@Autox. Team. Net" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>, "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
What an excellent weekend. I had a great time, enjoyed the friendly
atmosphere of your race meetings, and the great hospitality of the
Team Thicko fraternity. The track looked like a really fun
track and quite well suited to the spridgets.

It was a shame not being able to pull off the drive, maybe next
year... when we could have a trans-pacific whoop-ass trophy!

It was great to touch base with so many folk, and to see you guys
and your cars in action (well, most of the cars were in action!).

Now John Deikis said:

[...] and the parapatetic Mike Gigante from "down under" made
their appearance to cheer on a decent field of Sprites and Midgets.

So, So the heck does that mean? So I looked up "parapatetic"
at www.m-w.com and there was no entry for "parapatetic", but reading
the entry for  "peripatetic" I have to think if John is recognizing me
as a scholar(1), "having a go" at me(2), or using obfiscated language to
describe me as a random traveller(3)!!!

peripatetic:

1: a follower of Aristotle or adherent of Aristotelianism

Aristotle: "wrote on logic, metaphysics, natural science, ethics, politics;
one of greatest thinkers in history;"

So I could take that as a complement.. BUT since my musings
on logic and philosophy were limited to discourses on misfires, alternators,
suspension and carbs (where no-one person ever agreed with anyone else btw),
*and* the fact we  didn't fix flounder's misfire, *and* I muffed up the
change of dizzy cap the first  time, one might consider it unlikely that
John was comparing me with one of the great thinkers in history!

2 : PEDESTRIAN, ITINERANT

        pedestrian:

        1 : COMMONPLACE, UNIMAGINATIVE

Now I thinking that's no compliment, is he ridiculing me??? (starts pacing
up and
down, mumbling to self with look of righteous indignation)

        2 a : going or performed on foot b : of, relating to, or designed for
walking

Clearly not the case since I flew and drove. It's not looking good. So far,
it still looks like I'm being insulted here!

        3 plural : movement or journeys hither and thither

So either commmonplace/unimaginitive or a headless chicken. Still not
looking
good. (starts looking for the metaphorical glove to slap John's cheek with)

itinerent:

"traveling from place to place; especially : covering a circuit"

Phew, I can relax now, John is safe and I can stop drawing up those plans of
revenge. This must be what John meant. I'm sure, yes, yes, that is what he
meant.
At least that's what I hope he meant..

(wanders off to whinge and moan conspiritorial theories about what may have
been implied... after all, http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/thesaurus says that
vagabond and vagrant are synonyms for itinerent....)

:-)

cheers, Mike