Oil Cooler Hose Connections

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Cooler Hose Connections
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 21:00:21 EDT
A friend in town recently installed a oil cooler into his Bugeye (stock  948)
to help reduce engine & radiator temperature  during summer (this is So
Calif). Rather than buying a standard oil cooler kit he made up his own (we
tight!) His home-made set-up resulted in a 20 degree reduction in water temp &
 oil pressure is still in 50-60 psi range. Before building a similar setup
from myself I am interested in getting opinions & facts from List. The whole
setup was so easy, and he spent all of $35 ($28 for transmission cooler, rest
for length of hose & clips). I do have concern about long-term quality.

He simply cut the copper tube running from oil filter adapter to the engine
block, and connected a 3/8" rubber hose to each end using regular hose clips
and then to a transmission cooler (from cheap auto parts store). No fancy
adapters or steel braided hose.

Daniel Stapleton's book (page 20) says that a hose of 3/8" rather than 1/2"
will result in substantial drop in pressure, but it did not occur here. I
would have thought that oil pressure would go down with a larger diameter
hose rather than a smaller, but then I do not admit to being an hydraulics
expert. Can anyone explain? Could retaining the original block & oil filter
connections help keep the pressure up? Any danger in hose or clips bursting
under pressure? - I would think not.

Would be interested in any thoughts or experience.

Thanks,
Jim Rogers
San Juan Capistrano, CA  (106 degrees yesterday!)