RE: Acouple of questions

To: Larry Pitts <FUZZY95687@yahoo.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Acouple of questions
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:54:29 -0700
Larry,

This usually is only necessary on largely overbored engines like 1380's.
The A-series blocks have lots of bore flex and the problem is exacerbated
with overboring. You haven't said what you plan to do with your engine, but
unless unless you're doing something radical in the rebuild, it's probably
not necessary. Do you have pics of what you're describing? As I mentioned
in the previous post, some 1275 blocks had that casting open, so what you
desribe as a "fixture" may just have been part of a built up blanking plate
like the one John Carey fabricated. This appears to behave as a baffle,
rather than anything having to do with stress issues. Since the vent is so
low on the block, you don't want oil escaping through your vent.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jbcarey/NewJCarey/Breather.jpg

Gerard

At 8:55 AM -0700 9/15/02, Larry Pitts wrote:
>Gerard,
>Yes, I'm interested in drilling the fuel pump pad for
>pressure relief and no, the pad is not currently
>drilled. While looking at all the sprites and midgets
>at both Tahoe and Palo Alto (that were equipped) I
>don't recall just a hole drilled and tapped through
>the block at that location with a hose nipple screwed
>directly into the block. Most that I recall, usually
>have a fixture of some sort attached and the fixture
>drilled. I'm only assuming that the blocks were
>already factory drilled and that folks were
>fabricating a fixture to mount the nipple or a fixture
>was necessary to due to localized stressing of the
>block. Just curious if I could just drill,tap, and
>screw in a nipple or if it was a machine shop job and
>if I would have to fab a fixture in which mount a
>nipple to.
>
>Larry Pitts
>60 Bug

Search for Low Airfares, Great Hotel Deals,
Car Rental Discounts and Vacations and Cruises
http://partner.onetravel.com/go/go.cfm?GoID=32421

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com