Re: Update on Lost 1500 Head

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Update on Lost 1500 Head
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:28:23 EDT
In a message dated 9/18/02 3:31:47 PM, RBHouston@aol.com writes:

<< I don't know the current insurance rates, but FedEx used to charge $.35
for
each $100 of declared value over the first $100.00.  That's actually too
cheap not to do. >>

I quit using insurance (and UPS) back about 15 years ago when my Mom sent me
an antique glass candy dish, carefully packaged in both bubbles and popcorn
and enclosed inside a larger box of fabrics and clothing.  An elephant must
have really stomped that (undamaged) package and one of the two pieces of the
candy dish arrived broken.  I was able to identify and determine the
replacement price to be about $30 with fair availability.  I was never able
to collect for it, because after coming out and seeing the damage and seeing
the packaging after it had been opened and seeing the paperwork from both
ends of the shipment and the estimate (I had it all on original UPS paper),
they began asking for other paperwork--the "original invoice" for the broken
item was the last straw with me, and I then satisfied myself with a very
nasty letter accusing them of exactly what they were doing.  I never paid
them for insurance again, and seldom use them for mailing.  I like to believe
they lost on that deal.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"
2000 Miata SE Mahogany "The Miata"
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "The Heep"
1991 Lazy Daze (Ford) "The Motorhome"