Re: No start X2 - Update

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No start X2 - Update
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 07:28:53 -0500
> The fuel pump kills the lights almost completely.  I don't
> see any smoke leaking out of any wiring anywhere though.  Now what?

OK, assuming that I am correctly understanding that you went to your car,
turned on the headlights, saw lights on, turned the key to on (not start)
and the lights died;  what that tells me is that the system does not see
enough electricity to run both headlights and ignition simultaneously. There
are multiple possible explanations for this. Flat battery (try the one from
the other Midget), dirty connections at the battery (clean them again with a
good battery post and terminal cleaner), loose battery connections (make
sure they are good and tight, I thought mine were once and I had the same
symptoms because I was wrong; again!), bad fuel pump (not real likely, but
try disconnecting it and repeating the test. I really think that you will
find that the battery connections are not quite right. Another test you can
make if you have the voltmeter that Twist despises so much is to repeat the
test above and take a reading across the actual battery posts and then
across from the point where the ground cable is bolted to the firewall to
the point where the hot cable is bolted to the solenoid. If there is a
significant difference (as in the battery says 12 volts and the other end of
the cables says 9 volts), you have isolated the culprit.
HTH
David Lieb
Too many RWAs