rear hub play

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: rear hub play
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 07:22:56 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: team-thicko@autox.team.net
Went to change and/or modify (Thicko Schmoo method)
the rear hub seal of the race car and found lots of
play in the hub.  That side of the car got extremely
loose last weekend, and was gushing axle juice pretty
good by the end of the day.  The bearing looks great,
but I can tug the hub inboard/outboard approximately
1/8 of an inch.  It almost looked like the inner hub
seal lip was too tall, and not allowing the bearing to
fully seat against the back of the hub/axle case.
Opened up the other side for comparison and the hub
does move when tugged, but not much, probably less
than a 1/16".  What should I be seeing for
inboard/outboard play?  Everything "looks" OK
otherwise.  These are normal single bearing hubs
(axles are hardened/competition, but that's not really
relevant).  New seals/bearings/etc. are on the way
from Peter C. just in case.

Thanks,
Grasshopper

=====
"Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, give up."

- Entire text of a commencement speech given by Sir Winston Churchill
http://sbc.yahoo.com