Re: Performance valve advice sought

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Performance valve advice sought
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 18:45:00 -0400
frank the cylinder head already have the intake and exhaust valves touching.
so bigger valves are not a viable consideration.  but valves with the stems
under cut in the port area and swirl polished to improve the flow in the
port , reduce the weight of the valve and increase flow through reduced
restriction  of the un-needed "meat" that can be removed are all positive
things wich can be done for improved performance.
an aditional improvement would be new valve springs and all new valve
keepers and retainers.
once you get the motor to breathe, then you can seek higher  rpm ranges but
the valve springs will limit that!  so stiffer springs!  but with stiffer
springs comes the higher seat pressures and extra stress exerted on the
retainers and keepers.  many very nice cylinder heads have become scrap
metal along with a piston or two and the block due to retainer and keeper
failure.  now no old or new parts are bulletproof!  but a little money spent
now could and probably will give long life in the long run versus taking
used parts of unknown history or mileage and trusting they will survive the
thrashing you are going to give them down the road.    hmm i think i have
some valves from the 79 G-production championship car here somewhere that we
lightened.      good examples of period modifications wich are still
aplicable for that motor today.

chuck
i was given a lucas dizzy for the cooper"s" over the weekend that was welded
.  hmmm...  verrrrry interesting what people believe to be junk...  c.   :)
(future "cool" dizzy!)