Re: Performance valve advice sought

To: awboat@labyrinth.net
Subject: Re: Performance valve advice sought
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 06:54:20 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/9/02 7:00:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
awboat@labyrinth.net writes:

> john, the original question I had was are the springs supplied with the 276
> Kent Cam kit
> compatible with the 1.5 rockers? Where do C-AEA526  or C-AEA527 come from?

     As I do not know the specs of the springs supplied with the MD276 in
their kit (and someone already suggested to go to Kent with that question) I
can't comment on that.  I few years back on my 1380 I switched from the
standard rockers to the 1.5:1 roller rockers.  I noticed an improvement and
it ran great untill one day when I exited the interstate and it started
running "funny".  Limped the two blocks to work and at lunch took off the
valve cover to discover that I had snapped #4 intake rocker off of the shaft.
 I had discovered valve spring crush - the hard way.  Reading the "Special
Tuning and Accessories Catalog" I found:

Modern hi-lift, short duration cam shafts have posed quite a few problems for
the general public in recent years.

Widely available performance valve springs were outdated overnight as it
became necessary to reduce valve spring crush.  This, in turn, caused low
valve seat pressures creating valve float at high rpm.  Mini Spares has
massevly simplified these problems by introducing two types of spring that
covers all eventualities.  Manufactured from super-high quality silicone wire
imported from Switzerland, their resistance against fading and breaking is
extremely high.  They are also designed to take standard type top caps. They
can be fitted directly to the head with no fear of spring crush even when
using 1.5 ratio rockers.

Anti coil-bind dual springs for use up to 8000 rpm, 165lb load at .380" lift,
185 at .495" lift
order as part number C-AEA526

Anti coil-bind dual springs for race use, will take .570" lift without
modifications, nominal 240lb
order as part number C-AEA527

John