Re: paint prepping engine

To: "Michel R. Gagne" <mgagne@email.unc.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: paint prepping engine
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:08:47 -0700
Hi Michael,

I usually try to remove as much of the engine enamel as possible from the
block. You'll find that spraying over existing paint with VHT will lead to
peeling later. If that's too much work for you, at least scuff as much of
the paint as possible with a Scotchbrite pad or some 180 sandpaper. If the
paint on the stamped metal is still sticking well, you can do the same.
Again, I usually start with bare metal. I've done it both ways, with and
without primer on the stamped steel. DO use a special purpose degreaser
first (not solvent) if the want the paint to last.

Gerard