Re: Rear main bearing seal kit

To: "Tim L. Creger" <timlc@agr.state.ne.us>, "Spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear main bearing seal kit
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:32:31 -0500
Tim,

I've used the Mini Mania style which places a seal around the crankshaft
flange, and Paul's system. Both can work well with proper installation...
Paul's system is significantly cheaper. Both systems require a bit of
"hillbilly-driveway" machining... but if that's the price for a leak prook
motor, I'm all for it. Also import to make sure you have proper crankcase
ventilation.

On another "leak" front...the latest race motor I built... I used Hylomar
throughout... a good move for the most part. Hylomar allows for parts
removal without replacing a gasket... ideal for race motors. It works
especially well on the paper and fiber gaskets... but one caveat. Do not use
it on cork gaskets like the thermostat housing or tappet covers on a 948. It
"lubricates" the cork and causes it (the cork) to squish out rather than
seal. I've used gasket shellac, and RTV, and like Hylomar for paper gaskets
the best.

Also, on the leak front...I'm always unhappy with the cork 948 tappet
gaskets you get with most gasket sets these days. Peter the Parts Pimp (or
Triple P) at Worldwide let me in on the secret that the MGB tappet covers
are the same  nice thick rubber gaskets that I like to find. You glue them
with gorrilla snot ( a sticky yellow gsaket adhesive) to the covers, and
bolt 'em down to the block with no sealant between block and rubber seal.
That works wonderfully.

WST