which pump?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, bugeye@yahoogroups.com
Subject: which pump?
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:35:54 EDT
OK, just a general question about fuel pumps,---would appreciate any thoughts
on the matter. I have a choice in rebuilding either one of two 1275cc
engines. One has the hole in the block (with a cover plate) for the
mechanical fuel pump and the other does not. I understand that the standard
mech fuel pump from an earlier engine will fit. Given the choice, I would
rather stick with the mechanical pump because #1---I already have one and do
not have an electrical pump, and #2 ,---the plumbing is already in the
Bugeye. With today's gas, is anyone really having any trouble with a
mechanical pump pulling the fuel as opposed to the electrical pump pushing
the fuel. Especially in 100 degree summer temps? All thoughts would be
appreciated as usual.  Bob C in KS