Re: :-( gue3ss whayt happens when the oil pressure drops ont he highway

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>, Midget/Sprite <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: :-( gue3ss whayt happens when the oil pressure drops ont he highway! :-(
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 22:28:49 -0800 (PST)
--- "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net> wrote:
> Paul-
>
> Rats. Bad luck. But you are an aircraft
> mechanic so you shut down immediately
> of course and coasted to the side of the
> road. How much damage could you have
> done unless you were running it this way
> for awhile or turning high rpm's while
> this was going on? Probably very little
> if any?
well....uh...hmmmm...I did sorta keep it at driving rpm for
a minute!  ;-0 Stupid me! ~3200 rpm! was working on no food
since yesterday, and not thinking clear....was thinking it
could get me to the exit! don't know why I thought that! I
know better.....

> Drain it and install a new filter and see
> what happens?
Drain it?  Already did that all over the highway!  ;-0

> You know where the oil
> pressure ran before so you can compare.
> The "new" indicated pressure and your
> ear will basically tell the tale. Maybe not
> bad news, after all?
Well for now, I took the plug out of the other
engine...installed it, added fresh oil, snd it fired right
up! started out at 60 psi! than ralized was running at 1600
rpm, cause the cable was kinked at carb....fixed that, aid
it idles at ~40 psi, jus like before.......but...there is a
tikka tikka sound now....it does appear to be running
strong though. Tomorrow, I will flush out engine with some
cleaner/solvent, replace the oil filter(luckilly have a
spare in the boot)and install fresh oil again. than will
drive it around and see how it goes.....again fuzzy
here(maybe from the beer?)  ;-) not thinking clearly what
is causing the bad valve tappet sound, as pushrod engines
don't usually get it like that(brain really fuzzy, do they?
I'm an idiot today for some reason, maybe need to sit down
and forget abot it for a while. definately do not hear a
rod knokc sound!  ;-) ..........yet......crossing
fingers....

> Run it gently and renew the oil and filter
> in less than 100 miles. This will help to
> remove any metal which may have circulated internally
> while you crack
> open the filter and take a look for metallics....
> Hopefully little or nothing.
>
> Acquire one of the magnetic oil plugs
> as well. Would probably be a good
> idea in this case, Paul. You'll also
> probably want to drop the pan and
> take a look and/or clean it out at least.
good idea just in case, but...it's not magnetic particles
that are the issue...it's the bearings that go first
usually...(remembering the sump full of "tin-foil" when the
oiling system failed in our Citabria and it ran dry 'til it
siezed, luckilly in gliding sistance of the field! had two
of these inverted oil suystems fail over the years..)

> You may find it will be basically OK
> (hopefully). Depends how long/hard
> you were driving it this way. Bummer
> in any event but I have my fingers
> crossed for you, mate.
thanks! I think/hope i will be able to drive it around with
that top-end tapping, but will adjust the valves in the
morning to see if it helps.....amazing that it could
survive as it appears to have. (I have always been amazed
at the punishment that engines will actually take sometimes
and still keep on ticking..)

Paul (fingers crossed)