Re: Why? (non LBC)

To: guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why? (non LBC)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:11:51 EST
In a message dated 11/11/02 4:55:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jleclainche@cox.net writes:

> I think I know the answer- In some older cities in the East of the US, heat
> to buildings is still provided by steam- some must escape from underground
> steam pipes, hence the smoking drain covers! Is that right, or was someone
> "pulling my leg"?

In Akron we have a big steam plant and all the buildings downtown are
steam-heated.  We also have steam coming out of the manhole covers downtown.
Don't see that in the suburbs, so I think we have our answer.

I can tell you that a manhole cover that really gets to releasing steam can
be a little intimidating to drive over, especially when you're racing a red
light at high speed -- sometimes you can't see what you're headed for until
you're through the steam.  Particularly fun on a motorcycle!

Chris Eck
59 Bugeye