Re: Rear Axle Stuck

To: SDOliner@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Stuck
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 02:08:45 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> One axle slipped out nicely.
> The other one seems stuck.

Hi David,
I've just been there, done that. You may get lucky and
pry it out with opposing screwdrivers/pry bars. If
that doesn't work, use a slide hammer. You won't be
able to fit a drift pin larger than 3/8" dia in from
the other side because of the pinion pin. (Take a
flashlight and look in from the side where the axle
came out easily.)

The little hole in the end of the axle is not threaded
but I eventually drilled it, tapped it, bolted a 3/8"
steel plate to it which I bolted to the base of a
large slide hammer and finally broke a very stubborn,
twisted, mushroomed axle free. The worst part of
course stayed within the diff until after I dropped
it, tapped out the pinion pin and drove the mushroomed
end inward.

I hope someone else can offer advise about your other
questions. I'm new at this and wondering also.  I
simply held the paper gasket in place with grease
until I bolted the drum back on.

Good luck, Jack