Rear Axle Stuck

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Axle Stuck
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 23:13:07 EST
I am in the middle of changing the diff on my bugeye.
One axle slipped out nicely.
The other one seems stuck.
Haven't done anything about it yet.
I figured I would ask twice, whack once.

I was think of:
Using a broom handle as a drift, slide it in the removed axle;
Using a slide hammer. Does anyone know if that little hole in the center is
threaded?
Applying heat. Not sure why, but seemed like a good idea.

Suggestions?

When this thing goes back together, do the paper gaskets at the flange go on
dry or should I use Permatex red gasket tack?
The entire sealing system seemed strange. Two little screws holding the brake
drum, and then one screw holding the axle. Only tightening down 3 out of 4
quarters.

Also, where the heck is the brake adjustment nut?
Is it under the rubber thingy which goes around the parking brake lever?
The wheel cylinders appear to have been replaced. Are there other than stock
cylinders, which are self adjusting?
Dark and dirty back behind the brakes.

My brakes are missing the plug on the inspection hole. But if this was in,
where would all of that black stuff which comes out on the wheels, go?

TIA

David Oliner