Re: rubberized hieroglyphics

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Guy Weller" <guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: rubberized hieroglyphics
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:23:33 -0500
A little of both - the description is a little off. If you imagine cutting a
tire in half across its diameter, you'll get a revolved "U" shape. What the 205
measures is the maximum width of the "U". The tread with can be fairly close to
this (usually in low profile tires), or a little narrower, due to the bulge
that usually happens in the middle of the "U".
The 205 doesn't include the sidewall height (the sides of the "U"), that is
described by the "55". As stated below, it's a percentage of the 205, so in
this case 55% of 205 is 112.75mm.

Hope I haven't confused you more!

-=Chris

Chris King   - cbking@alum.rpi.edu