Re: Noisy Wiper Motor

To: James Gruber <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Noisy Wiper Motor
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:38:21 -0500
Cc: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
James Gruber wrote:

>  How does one get to the wheelboxes and grease them.

the easy way....
Remove the dash.
undo 2 nuts on each wheel box.
Undo the top of the wiper motor rack gear (four 1/4" head screws)
Remove the nut from the rack tube/wiper motor
remove the U clip from the rod/rack cable in the wiper motor.
Extract the rack.
Repack everything with vasoline or some other LIGHT petroleum jelly.
Avoid grease, even white lithium as it gets hard with age.
Pack the wheel box gears, wiper motor gear and rod sleeve, and the
entire rack. It's a messy job but it needs to be done every 20 years or
so.
While you are at it, check and straighten out any kinks in the tubes.
New copper tubes can be home made with a simple flaring tool and a roll
of soft copper pipe, pack the tubes with vasoline too.
Do NOT remove the nuts and bezels from the cowl, you will chip the
paint. I have found it much easier to grease up the rack with the bezels
in place, they don't move that way.
I just did this to the Midget I am restoring the other night. And yes I
mounted the wheel boxes firmly on the cowl before I shoved the rack
thru.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ