Re: brake problem

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: brake problem
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 18:02:47 -0600
Cc: TeachJP@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Speaking of brakes, the 68 has been losing fluid slowly for some time now. I
have
just kept it full, as there was no fluid visible on the backs of any of the
wheels, or at any of the brake line junctions. I decided it was time to look at
the rear brakes, as I had changed out the front pads and hoses recently. Upon
investigation, it appeared that the brake dust in the drum traps fluid quite
well. The interior of both drums were covered in brake fluid soaked dust.
Replace
the seals in the slaves, replace the shoes, wipe the plates and drums down with
MEK, and adjust the E brake lever. Now it stops on a dime again. It stopped well
before, but nothing like this in a long time.
MORAL: if you are losing fluid, or have to pump your brakes to get it to stop
better, you better start to figure out why. Our cars are not strong enough to
hold up to an impact with many of todays vehicles. I am covered head to toe in
dirty brake fluid, but it was time well spent. BTW, doing the rear brakes is not
hard at all, even with the springs behind everything. Anyone tackling their rear
brakes, that needs some tips on disassembly and re assembly of them, shoot me an
email. I will try to explain it as best as I can.
Brad