Re: Centering timing chain cover

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Centering timing chain cover
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:42:57 -0800
I've used Paul's kit to restore the rear main seal, used the below described
technique to center the timing cover, and the result is that the bottom of
my sprite is DRY.  I park in the driveway of a friend's new home and don't
worry about leaving an oil puddle.  My normal parking place at work has NO
oil drips at all.(just a major dried-out mess from last year when I had a
bad rear seal)

As for the oil pan, I didn't chamfer the old holes in the block, but with
the thick gasket and the double coat of Form-a-gasket, it has never leaked a
bit.  I just tighten the bolts till the sealer oozes out nicely to the edge.
Be sure to cut the cork front and rear pan seals to the suggested over-long
length so that they compress the way they should.

I do lose a tiny amount of oil when I'm flogging it as I have pulled the
steel wool from the timing chain cover cannister and the road tube that
vents it will blow a mist of fine droplets that eventually dirty up the
engine compartment.  Can't be much though as I've only added one quart since
January when I finished the rebuild.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye