Re: Solenoid Troubles (69 Midget)

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Solenoid Troubles (69 Midget)
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 08:17:51 -0600
Frank,
The only thing I could suggest would be to check the actuating voltage with
the solenoid in circuit. From the way you phrased it in your post, it sounds
as if the solenoid was not connected when you tested the white/red wire. It
is quite possible that it is delivering 12vdc when you turn the key at an
amperage quite adequate to operate a test light, but nowhere close to
adequate to trigger the solenoid.
Second test would be to grab a length of wire and run it (with all due and
appropriate caution) from the solenoid to the battery post (for that matter,
right over to the solenoid post). This should give a clean bill of health to
most, if not all, of the solenoids you are playing with.
If that proves to be the case, I would suspect the w/r. According to my
Haynes wiring diagram, there is a junction in that wire between the switch
and the solenoid. Have you cleaned that one up?
David Lieb