Re: 1275 valve seals

To: "spridget" <spridget63@comcast.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1275 valve seals
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 21:37:26 -0500
ok, here's the drill!
exhaust valves run hot it is their nature.  having gobs of oil running down
the stems is not a bad thing!  having it create blue smoke burning in the
exhaust system has no bearing on the performance or condition of the spark
plugs.   a loose exhaust valve guide is not a bad thing!  real loose is bad
but tight is not the hot ticket either!  the intake valve , is another sort!
oil going down that guide will effect the plugs and the burn in the
cylinder.  all the performance guys wil ltell you a tight motor takes for
ever to break in and will not turn high rpm's quickly due to the tight
tolerances and possibility of lubrication starvation at certain places due
to higher heat from friction at operating temperature with tight tolerances.
cylinder heads alaso follow suit in this area.   a real tight extremly close
toilerance guide to stem set up will operate by hand at room temperature but
might sieze at operating temperature and or gaull u the valve stem or guide
with a possible end result of siezing the stem in a guide.  this set up will
not burn or "use" oil.   but! a loose set up will run fast right out of the
box with little reguards to "proper break in".   we never put seals on the
exhaust.   rule of thumb is"lubrication at a very high temperature place is
a good thing"!  lubrication fouling the plugs is not a good thing.

chuck.
:)