Re: 1275 valve seals 2002 20:35:36 -0500

To: spridget63@comcast.net (spridget)
Subject: Re: 1275 valve seals 2002 20:35:36 -0500
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:29:04 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Dan:

All who've come before me on this have
said it all regarding "seals" on exhuast
valves. I have nothing to add except that
using seals on exhaust valves will have
a negative effect in terms of maintaining
clearances over time due to lack of
lubrication and heat transfer....matter of
fact, you set the stage for accelerated wear and tear in this particular
respect
over time if you do use seals on them.

And the harder you drive, the more this
is the case in accordance with a discussion I had with Bill Perry who
provided my current engine. Oil between
valve stem and guide on an exhaust valve
IS a good thing and when it is not there,
it IS a bad thing.

The only thing I would suggest is having
your intake valves machined to accept
teflon valve seals, especially in these days of "garbage octane"
unleaded pump
premiums.

Doing whatever you can to keep oil out
of the combustion process in any event,
is also a "good thing"! Especially when
using higher compression ratios than stock, as this will have a direct
bearing on
both the "rate" and "total" ignition advance
which can be tolerated before pre-ignition
and/or detonation rears it's ugly head.

Cap'n. Bob (Ret'd)
      '60 Frog