Re: APT SPVP4 cam

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Ron Soave" <soavero@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: APT SPVP4 cam
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 11:59:35 -0800
> Anyone care to share any thoughts on the subject cam?
> Speaking to David Anton, peak torque should be around
> 5400 PM, peak power at 7200.

I've used the cam in .040 over 1275s and .040 over 948s with from 10.5:1 to
12:1 in a Bugeye, Lotus 7 A, and front engined F Jr.  I've been been very
happy with the general driving performance of the cam on the mostly short
tracks we run on the West Coast: Mission, BC, Pacific Raceways (formerly
Seattle Intl R), Portland, Thunderhill and Bremerton.  The longest straight
on any of these is a bit less than 1/2 mile; most have a few corners
requiring good torque.  I've found that my engines pull nicely from 3800 on
up and thus the cars are quite driveable with vintage legal BMC gearboxes.
The cam will also go nicely to over 8000 if you need it.

My only experience with wilder cams is from the late '60s when I decided
that I really didn't want a cam which only worked from 5000 up, no matter
that it made 5% more hp at 7800 or 8000;  That sort of cam is good only for
tracks like  Daytona with what amounts to a  1 or 2 mile straightaway for a
948 Bugeye going 106-110 max.

I have the opportunity
> to buy one cheap with several races on it, still
> degrees within spec.  Assuming it has had a good life
> lubrication-wise, how durable have you found the cam
> to be?  It's been nitrided at APT.  I'm a little wary
> of a used cam (it comes with the high performance
> chilled lifters, appropriately matched to the cam
> lobes), as cams are "cheap" as far as racing
> components go, but afterall, we tight.

I've found them to be quite durable.   However, as you say, cams are
relatively "cheap".  If you're building an otherwise fresh motor with new
pistons and rods, etc. I wouldn't scrimp on the cam.  If you're using old
rods and pistons, go for it (assuming the wear patterns look ok).

 Myles Winbigler