Re: Bugeye gold

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Subject: Re: Bugeye gold
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 21:18:18 -0800
Cc: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>, Healey list Forum <healeys@autox.team.net>
I hate to rain on your parade, but condition aside,  the dates would have to be
correct on the radiator, generator, coil, etc. for a Gold level restoration.  By
correct, I mean the month/yr stamped on these parts would have to be very close
to the production date.  The generator and other ancillary equipment on my 60
Bugeye all are 2/60 and my car was on the assembly line in the last 4 days of
Feb
1960 and the first couple days of March 60. If the dates on this engine you have
are too far off from the production date of the prospective restoration subject,
the best you could hope for is a Bronze, maybe Silver, if they were feeling
generous. You could probably get Todd Clarke to stamp a correct engine number
plate if you have your Heritage Certificate for proof, but that will not be
enough.  Nice find even though you can't be sure what condition the engine or
trans are in until you really run them.  They might look great, but they might
have been pulled for a different reason.  I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the
judges will be scrutinizing dates and other telltale things like the brass carb
dashpot covers.  Early cars were plain, but later ones were changed by
shortening
the plunger and marking the top with an "O" stamped into it.  There are many
other telltale signs.  What's to say the generator had not been swapped out in
the last 40 years?  Gold level is tough and a straight drop in might not help.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite