Re: Head shaving (decking)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head shaving (decking)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:09:56 -0800
I'm not sure about the minimum or original head thickness, but I believe
that the high compression head had a combustion chamber volume of 19cc and
the standard head is something like 23cc.  I think its covered in the Clymer
manual.
A real perfectionist will check the volume of each chamber carefully and
ensure that the volume is identical for all four.
With the valves in place and plastic modelling clay filling in the spark
plug hole in a way that follows the curves of the combustion chamber, I
smeared grease around the perimeter of the combustion chamber and placed a
piece of plexiglass over the chamber.   I then injected water from a
syringe into a small hole in the plexi and determined exactly how many cc's
each chamber held.  The PO was obviously anal-retentive, as they were
identical to a VERY tiny fraction of a cc.  He said that is how you get
equal power from each cylinder and improve the smoothness of the motor.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye
'59 Morris Traveller (Winifred)