RE: Head shaving (decking)

To: "'Frank Clarici'" <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: RE: Head shaving (decking)
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:24:28 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Frank,
        Some of the information we have learned while working with our
race motors. Starting with a bone stock 1316 casting:
        1.  Our head had low time and the valves and seats were at
factory new condition
        2.  Original chamber volume is 21.4 cc
        3   For every .010" removed from the head chamber volume
decreases by 1 cc
        4.  We shaved the head by .035" resulting in a chamber volume of
18cc.
        5.  We decked the block .010", leaving a deck height of .010"
        5.  We bored out the block by .40" to 2.82" (1310cc)
        6.  We use the AE #21253 (high compression) pressure cast
replacement pistons
        7.  The AE# 21253 pistons have an 8cc dish, The AE#21251 (low
compression) pistons have an 11 cc dish
        8.  Using the AE321253 pistons, we ended @ 11 to 1 compression
        9.  Using the AE 321251 Pistons gave us 10.2 to 1 compression

Regards,

Tom Speed
Charlotte, NC