Bree's Battery

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bree's Battery
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 07:59:41 -0600
Hi,
Things to check when your solenoid only goes "click":
1. Bad battery? Voltage below 10 when the car is not running.
2. Bad alternator (generator to you with older cars)?  Voltage below 13
when the car is running.
3. Bad connections?  These cause more problems than the above two.  Many
people buy new batteries when they only need to clean connections or
replace connectors.  Connections must be clean and tight.
4. Bad voltage regulator?  This may be harder to detect but as a general
rule:  Voltage below 13 when the car is running and everything
electrical is on (lights, blower, radio, etc.)
5.  I also have a personal theory that batteries last 3-5 years and like
to fault when there is a general temperature change like at the start of
winter or the beginning of summer.  This is not scientific, just my
observation.
Cheers,
Derf