Sand Blasting Cabinet Advice

To: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Sand Blasting Cabinet Advice
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:58:26 -0800 (PST)
Had the opportunity last night to try out for the first time the sand blasting
cabinet I bought at Harbor Freight. Some observations I think I have and need
suggestions from the list on how to make the cabinet more efficient. I think
I'm correct in my assumptions and need affirmation from the gifted folks on
this list who know more about these things than I do.

1) Some sort of Water Trap on the compressor is required. I was definitely
getting water vapor spitting out along with media. Water in the lines, caused
by compressor working in 40-50 degree garage and condensing in bottom of
compressor would definitely cause media material to clog and not suck properly
from bottom of blasting cabinet. I drained compressor but still lots of water
vapor. I can see where this would really make a mess of paint.

2) More than 2 lbs of blasting material is needed to make sure this thing keeps
working. Fill that baby up with as much as you can fit in there.

3) Media goes everywhere. Forces out every opening by the positive air pressure
generated inside of the cabinet. Port on the back for connencting a vent / shop
vac to reduce pressure inside cabinet. If I connect a shop vac am I going to be
shortly replacing a shop vac due to media clogging up filter / motor or is
there a better way of collecting excess media / reducing back pressure, etc.

4) Even if you mask something, count on blasting media to make its way inside
of whatever you've masked.

Thanks to all for your help.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH