Re: Sand Blasting Cabinet Advice

To: James Gruber <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Sand Blasting Cabinet Advice
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:08:22 -0500
Cc: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
James Gruber wrote:

> 1) Some sort of Water Trap on the compressor is required. I was definitely
>getting water vapor spitting out along with media. Water in the lines, caused
>by compressor working in 40-50 degree garage and condensing in bottom of
>compressor would definitely cause media material to clog and not suck properly
>from bottom of blasting cabinet. I drained compressor but still lots of water
>vapor. I can see where this would really make a mess of paint.

I installed a drip pipe on the air line to the blast cabinet. It extends
down to the floor with a ball valve on it. A quick flick of the valve
and the water is blasted out. It also helps to keep the water lower then
the cabinet. 1/2" PVC pipe and a $2 ball valve that glues in.

> 2) More than 2 lbs of blasting material is needed to make sure this thing
>keeps working. Fill that baby up with as much as you can fit in there.

Check your local yellow pages for a sand blast company or supplier.
I have a guy who delivers it to my door (2 bag minimum) Costs around $35
a bag. I use 70 grit glass beads.

> 3) Media goes everywhere. Forces out every opening by the positive air
>pressure generated inside of the cabinet. Port on the back for connencting a
>vent / shop vac to reduce pressure inside cabinet. If I connect a shop vac am
>I going to be shortly replacing a shop vac due to media clogging up filter /
>motor or is there a better way of collecting excess media / reducing back
>pressure, etc.

Wear a mask, turn on a fan to vent the shop, or pick up a cheapo Home
Defect $20 one gallon shop vac. Yes the dust will eat up the vac but I
have made a "bong" out of an old 5 gal spackle bucket.
Remove the filter in the vac, run the vac hose to a bucket with about 4"
of water in the bottom, do not extend the hose to the water, keep the
hose up high. (some fabrication to the bucket lid is needed for this)
On the other side of the lid, run a tube closeto the water (low in the
bucket) but not emersed in the water, this tube hooks to the back of the
blast cabinet. Vac on, dust from the cabinet gets sucked into the can
and trapped by the water. Use a wet/dry shop vac because it will suck up
sprayed water. if the water gets too high the vac sounds funny and stops
sucking. this thing stopped 99% of the dust for me. It took some guess
work to get the water height right but it lasts for 20-30 hours of
blasting before it needs to be cleaned out.
Mike Graz may still have all the details to my "bong" set up.

> 4) Even if you mask something, count on blasting media to make its way inside
>of whatever you've masked.

Scotch (brand) blue masking tape!

--
Frank Clarici