Re: Harbor Frieght Tools

To: Derf <derf@dovco.com>
Subject: Re: Harbor Frieght Tools
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 23:45:05 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Derf wrote:

> I find that most HF tools can be improved.

This is what I found too. Take their sandblast cabinet and  some yankee
ingenuity, and it works much better.
Like the bearing press that came with a rubber push post (well it bent
like rubber) I went out today and bought a 10" long grade 5 bolt. I'll
just cut off the dung forged rod and weld on the US made bolt. I can
also now use a large nut on the treaded end of the bolt to aid in
bearing pressing.
]Since I was going to make my own press, and Horrible Freight just
happened to have one for less than the cost of the parts, I opted to buy
theirs. But come on, wrecked on the first use!
I agree, some of their stuff is fine if you know the old saying you buy
cheap you get cheap. But MOST of their stuff is cheap junk.
I would never trust their jack stands, their hydraulics are all crap,
and never buy anything electric from them unless you recognize the brand
name. Chicago electric is NOT a brand name, it's not even from chicago
unless there is a chicago over in china. Sort of like Usa, Japan, and
that does not mean U S A.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ