Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Gone electronic! aka Guy goes modern! :)

To: <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Gone electronic! aka Guy goes modern! :)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 18:25:24 -0000
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Right good friends!
Went for the "blast" to check out this new electronic set up. What a
difference!! It is very noticably smoother at all revs, but very
noticable at low down when just pottering along.  It just ticks over
with no engine snatch or hesitancy at all.  One can even pull away
from standstill without touching the accelarator, just gently ease up
the clutch and off she goes!
And, at the top end those orange and red segments come up on the tach
without any discernable misfire at all, and all oh so smooooth!
As you can tell I am dead chuffed!

The electronic kit I used came directly off a late A+ engined Metro
1275 Vanden Plas.  This had the same set up as the non turbo version
of the MG Metro sold in the UK (but not I think in the USA?).  The A+
block is slightly altered from the A series, and the drive shaft and
clamping arrangement for the later distributer is different.  Hence
the reference to some gentle engineering ( use of a friend's lathe
helped here).

The dizzy internals are quite different. Gone are points and
condenser.  Now I have a 4 pronged rotating chopper (sorry to boast
about that!) a sensor coil and an electronic "black box" module.
Nothing to adjust, set up or wear out. And no, Rob it isn't SparkRite,
Crane or PerTronix, its.....Da Dahhh!... LUCAS!!!!

I guess I may have upset one or two purists, but the kit is from the
same "stable" and anyway, its MY car!!

Hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend as much as I have!

Guy