Re: RE bugeye grill and then some!

To: <Ankitterer@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RE bugeye grill and then some!
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 06:49:19 -0500
any competent chrome restoration shop can replace the broken studs on the
rear of a grille.  BUT!  at what point does a grille become too expensive to
restore?  pitting and broken studs and damage from collision add up to some
very expensive plating shop bills!  i have seen some nasty rechromed bugeye
grilles!  at one point not that long ago there were no replacement grilles
available anywhere as they were not remanufactured yet!   the egg crate
grille area was not properly straightened and once plated really looked bad
in sunlight.  the area between the top "mask" and the egg crate area had
pitted and when plated no longer was smooth even after replating and it
waved back to you in sunlight, or the rolled edge of the top mask came and
went as it was either ground off or not restored after straightening.
yes there are some real crappy grilles out there!  around 15 years ago i
bought what was listed in hemmings as a NOS grille.  i paid over 200.00 for
it and i put it away for my then on going restoration of my bugeye.  when it
came time to install it it did not fit!  the shape was spot on but the darn
pins were way-way off!  only 3 or 4 were where they needed to be!  i was
miffed and later i found out by comparison with original and later repros
that i had recieved a JC whitney "period" replacement grille!  it now
resides in my shed i a box of junk!  i ended up going to moss in dover and
hand picking a new grille wich took about 8 or 9 untill i was satisfied with
what i was taking home!  but it fit and looks super in the car.
a long story but just a warning of what can come your way if you are not
carefull!

chuck.
same darn bugeye for 29 years now....i guess i'll keep it?  lol!  :)