The no-turn-signal signal (no LBC, and lengthy)

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: The no-turn-signal signal (no LBC, and lengthy)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:56:25 -0600
        I came to a realization the other morning. Folks who don't use turn
signals obviously can't, and deserve our sympathy and support. I mean, how
could anyone with an ounce of sanity not indicate to others on the road
their intention to change course. We're all out there driving weapons. The
whole scheme is successful because we trust each other not to do something
irrational like stomp on the brakes, or go the wrong way against traffic,
or turn suddenly without warning.
        I believe that there exists in everyone a basic will to survive, and
inherent in that would be a desire to avoid becoming an unwitting target.
Given that, who would ignore the danger, casting their fate to the whims,
abilities, and attentiveness of others by not utilizing the one devise on
the car that allows you to warn of your desire to change lanes, or enter
traffic. Folks who have gotten their license have had to pass a minimal
proficiency test, at least in most US states. They have had to prove they
are sentient, which is all, I am suggesting, is required to prove that they
would use the signals if they could.
        So, why don't people use their directional signals?
        It must be that they can't, for physical reasons. They can't manipulate
the stalk with their hands. They can't push down, or pull up on that little
lever. Maybe the lever is too heavy. Maybe they can't reach that far.
        As I thought further on the probability that those drivers might
actually
be incapable or somehow compromised, I felt a pang of guilt. For all my
driving years I had assumed they were just selfish and rude morons, and I
would sometimes let their inaction irritate me. I would utter oaths, hurl
invectives, exhort the wrath of gods and demons. But now I see the light. I
understand that not everyone is equipped as I am with the capacity to move
a lever half an inch before I commit to a turn. I have become kinder and
gentler; so much so, that I will display my compassion and solidarity to
those in need. I promise to show a sign that I suggest should become
universal throughout the world; a signal to all of those who cannot manage
to signal to us because of some flaw in their physical makeup. I suggest we
hold up a single finger to indicate to them that we understand; that we are
sympathetic to their condition; that we appreciate that even though they
can't signal, they are out here driving with the rest of us, trying to live
a normal life, despite their incapacity.
        I hope that tomorrow as you drive to work, you remember to show those
who
do not signal, your support by signalling to them your compassion and
understanding. Show them one finger. I submit it should be the middle one.

Have a good evening.... Peter C.

(and why are vermouth bottles so big?)