Re: towing sprite - NOT LBC , but LFC

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>, "bill b." <w_burrell@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: towing sprite - NOT LBC , but LFC
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:23:50 -0000
Cc: "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Nah Bob!
Not this time, you've all heard that one at least twice before.
But here's another tale.
Some years back an aquaintance of mine was well known for his total
lack of any concept of technological things.  So much so that he
became the proud owner of a new Renault 4 (An early tree-huggers' car
that I doubt ever crossed to your western shores)  Anyone in the UK
will recognise this strange pre-historic version of an automotive
product.  They had a (small) front mounted in line engine with the
gearbox in front of the engine, and driving through a unit
construction transaxle to the front wheels. I think engine and g-box
shared an oil supply.
The unfortunate owner got a puncture.
Not exactly a serious problem.
He attempted to change the wheel. Worried about the spare falling off
he overtightened the wheel nights, shearing off first one, then two
wheel studs (they only had three!)
At this point he decided he needed breakdown assistance and called for
help.
The breakdown truck arrive, complete with early primate driver who
hadn't seen one of these strange French vehicles before.  Not
realising it was front wheel drive he hoisted the rear wheels off the
ground and towed it backwards for 40 miles.
The car was in gear - a forward gear.  The result was that  the engine
counter-rotated for about an hour.  The angle it was hoisted to
drained the oil from the pick-up - which was probably not pumping as
the oil pump vanes would be rotating the wrong way. The engine was
totally wrecked.  It had < 3000 miles on the clock!
Expensive puncture!

There was a legal dispute.  The garage said that it was the drivers
fault as he lent into the car to release the parking brake, but didn't
knock it into neutral.  The driver argued it was the garage
responsibility as he had never had a car towed before - they did it
for a living.
He did eventually win his case, but it took months and the car sat on
their forecourt for ages before  it was finally collected and
repaired.  Odd how even "new" cars deteriorate when they are not in
use.  He sold it soon after and bought a bike ( as in: push-bike)

Guy