UK Electrical Mains No LBC

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: UK Electrical Mains No LBC
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 20:49:49 -0600
I need a little help here, I took my first trip to the UK last year and had
the required battery chargers for Laptop, Camera, Cell Phone, PDA, etc.  I
bought one of those little travel power adapter kits to take with me.  On
the first day in a London hotel, I plugged it in and sparks flew out of the
box and I poped a main fuse to the room.  I was just another "dumb" tourist
at that point and I had to promise not to try it again.

Now I am on my way back to London for a week and a second week in the
Cotswolds.  I really need power.  I have checked out the transformer and
can't find anything wrong (replaced fuses)  with it, it still works!  Having
been in the electronics field for the last 40 years I am not going to let
this get me again.  I am looking at a UK three prong plug that should be 240
Volts (50Hz).  There are two large pins on the plug that are on the same
plane and a third that is lower and in between the other two.  Would I be
correct in assuming (dangerous) that the Hot and Neutral are on the two
parallel pins and earth is on the lower one?   I may not be in as much
trouble this time as my laptop and camera charger are rated 120-240 50/60Hz
and should work ok, but my cell is listed as 120 only so I still need juice.

Help!
Mark
Nashville
BN1