bugeye fuel sender pt 2

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: bugeye fuel sender pt 2
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:09:54 -0500
Thanks for the many tips/suggestions on this. I am testing the unit out of the
tank. I use the body as ground and the spade terminal as + in. I was using an
analog tester with only a 1k ohm scale. This may be the problem. I have heard
that there are two types of smiths fuel gages. Magnet based ones, and
bimettalic ones. Earlier ones are possibly magnet based, and the sending unit
has different values. A mini owner told me his goes from 0-90 ohms. I tested a
known 1K ohm resistor and get around 900 ohms on the meter. Perhaps my meter
just is missing out on such low values as 90 or 260 ohms.. Ill hit radio shack
and look for a dmm with 3 or 5 ranges. Heres hoping! Thanks again-Josh