Re: Differential, mysterious writings

To: John.Deikis@med.va.gov
Subject: Re: Differential, mysterious writings
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:04:36 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, mgtd2@aol.com
Hi John,

The matching numbers on the ring gear and pinion are the set number.  This is
what has been selected to run as a pair, because they are really close in
tolerances to each other.

The .005 is the "Head" number, or the variation against the standard dimension,
usually in inches.  This is used in determining the correct washers or shims to
use in the setup.

On the case, there are standard measurement in it for points A, B, C and D.
These are variations used in calculating the shim thickness'.

Have no idea what the separate 6, 2 and R mean.  Possibly a coded date for when
it will start to howl in normal use!!!  They did choose aluminum for some
unknown
reason in mankind for the carrier!!  Sheese!

Later, Paul A