Re: Coil polarity question

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com>, "Biff Jones" <biffjones@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Coil polarity question
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:41:53 -0500
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Frank, Biff...   quickie coil lesson.
The coil has two windings. One is low resistance
(low number of windings) and is the input.
One is high resistance (high number of windings).
The low number of turns is the input  1.5 or 3 ohms etc
the high number of turns is the output side.

An easy way to tell what should be hooked where if the labeling
is wrong/reversed/missing....
BOTH windings are common to the distributor side
of the coil.  You can use an ohmmeter to measure the terminals,
both + and - and the high tension lead. You'll have continuity
from all terminals to any other terminal. What you need to note is
from the + to - you'll have the low 1.5 or 3 ohm reading.
>From the high tension lead to the - lead you'll have something like
130 to 150 ohms. From the high tension lead to the + you'll have the
combination of the two added together.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com