Re: nice day for a push

To: Patricia Sauthoff <trishasauthoff@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: nice day for a push
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 00:43:23 -0500
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Patricia Sauthoff wrote:

>as for no ground, remember that i drove this car just fine for a week after
>working on it, and i can't imagine how ground could just go away.

Patricia,

A bad ground will sneek up on you.  One day it will work fine and and
the next day it will not.  It can come and go making it difficult to
find.  It can be caused by corrosion, loose connections, broken wires or
a combination of these.

I chased a bad ground on my 74 for a couple of weeks last summer.  The
solenoid would click but the starter would not turn on some days and on
other days it worked just fine.  Many times it would start just fine in
the morning and several times thru the day, but at least once a day it
would refuse to start. I changed the solenoid and the starter, neither
solved the problem.  It was the ground from the steering rack to the
engine block.

I'm not saying that this is the problem, but if you know the solenoid
and the starter are both good then looking for a bad ground is a good
(inexpensive) place to start.

I hope you get it sorted out.

Kevin V.