Re: Seat Webbing

To: kgb2@centurytel.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seat Webbing
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 01:04:31 EST
In a message dated 4/3/03 7:22:23 PM, kgb2@centurytel.net writes:

<< Can you tell me more about this diaphragm?  I need to do something with my
seats
pretty soon. The driver's side is way too low, and I suspect that it is just
giving up due to old age. I have a RWA, but I replaced the seats with some
from
either a Bugeye or MK1 Midget several years ago.  I can live with the
sheepskin
covers for another year or two, but I would like the kitchen chair cushions
to go
away. Are these things hard to install? Do they come with directions, or is
the
procedure self explanatory? >>

Turns out the diaphragm doesn't seem to be used in bugeye seats (at least
according to Vicky Brits catalog.  It shows for Midgets 61-79 (which would
mean Sprites 61-69.  It definitely is present on my 67's in the Bugeye and
should be in my 66 Sprite.  I honestly don't remember what the ones in the
original bugeye looked like under there.  It looks like if they have holes to
accept the hooks, they probably will accept the one-size diaphragm. There is
a seat bottom webbing for 71 to 79 Midgets.  It would certainly be possible
to drill holes to accept the hooks if they don't already exist.  Maybe
somebody with "real" bugeye seats (58-61) could take a look and see what is
there.

Installing the diaphragm is a job and a half.  I tried to do it myself, tried
to enlist Bob's help, and finally took it up to an upholstery shop I do
business with and they made me come back, but the diaphragms were on when I
did and he only asked for $10 to do it.  I understand that a hair dryer is
very helpful in getting the rubber soft enough to stretch across the frame.
I found that out after mine were done, but it makes sense.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.  Horler mentions this, but I don't really
think the original bugeyes had springs in the seats.  I honestly believe that
their resilence was a function of the density of the foam used to make the
seat cushions.  It sounds horribly extravagant, but I would be inclined to
try to replace the seats with NOS materials--if the foam is toast, the new
seats will be too.  I've never seen a set of aftermarket seats that quite had
that look of the originals--they are not symetrical.  And I believe that even
if we are 5' and a little bit, we don't have to accept sitting on cushions.
That's why I didn't buy an MGA in the first place. Interestingly, my seats
are the originals out of the 67 wreck.  They cleaned up well enough in 1996
that I kept them!

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"