idle engine advice

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: idle engine advice
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 12:06:20 EST
my 1500 engine was assembled last summer and I was unexpectedly not able to
install or use it right away.  It's on a stand, wrapped in a plastic bag and
sealed up pretty well, with a couple dessicant packets inside the bag.  I
also took the advice of a friend who's been in this situation before and put
a tuna fish can with a rag in there, spraying the rag with WD 40.  This is
supposed to create an oily mist in there, but may also have been an attempt
on his part to get me to blow up my garage.  Anyway, here's my question:

As I get ready to use it what should I do to try to start it up gently?  I
thought of perhaps putting a little heavy oil in each cylinder and turning
the crank with a wrench to coat everything a little, I also remember from my
younger days removing the distributors on american V8s and spinning the oil
pump with a drill for a while before starting up the motor.  Any thoughts,
advice?

Thanks,

Mark M

PS two of our esteemed governer's recent mysterious moves were to close the
emissions program and eliminate inspection on old cars.  I'm not sure I
understand or approve, but the timing can't be beat for me!