Re: Rostyle lugnut question 9 Apr 2003 16:02:59 -0400

To: cfchrist@earthlink.net (Charles Christ)
Subject: Re: Rostyle lugnut question 9 Apr 2003 16:02:59 -0400
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 16:57:24 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: John.Deikis@med.va.gov, spridgets@autox.team.net (spridgets)
Hmmm...

Serious stuff...pays to get this one right,
eh! Yeah, it does.

My mech had failed to tighten up (fully)
a rear wheel after dynanmic balancing
of all 4.....got interrupted by a phone call.
(This was like 20 years ago).

On the way down to LaGuardia, a van
passes me a mile or so before the
Whitestone southbound, honking his
horn and pointing toward the left rear
of the car, just as something flies off
my vehicle as strikes his...I catch this
out of the outside corner of my left eye.
(Turns out to be the 2nd to the last
lug nut, as 2 prior have departed silently).

Subsequently I slow down and through
around 40 decelerating, the rear end of
the car fairly leaps off the ground (the
Western's wheel holes are oblong) and
I come to a stop. Three nuts are gone
off the left rear wheel...the last one is
literally hanging on by a turn and 1/2.
of thread! (Whew! Close one!)

Took one each off the other wheels
and continued. Did my "trip" and came
home. 3 days later the differential failed
internally. You would not believe the
"oblong" hole in the differential case where the left axle shaft passes
through.

Point is, the foregoing notwithstanding,
what would have been the outcome at
60 when the last nut came off, if not for
that van driver?

I was running "60" series Yoko 008R's
on these 5.5" rims. Soft sidewalls overhanging the rim more so than
prior
"70" series mounted. Never felt a "squirm"
or anything before that van went by.

Oh, yeah....
now I always check the tightness of the
lugnuts myself when I'm not the one