Re: bugeye door hinge alignment help

To: "Josh" <JHa2297255@netscape.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: bugeye door hinge alignment help
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 20:22:31 -0400
ok-ok-ok!
first off if ya had it before, yer in luck 'cause ya got it now.  the door
striker probably kept it in alignment before and will now.  but you want to
align the door in an opening that was already wrong to start with?  good
possibility the tub is or was tweaked at one time or another.  in order to
close the upper gap at rear the lower front corner must go forward at the
same time the top hinge adjustment must be allowed to go rearward.  you are
going to seek a compromise.   from your message i am going on the assumption
that a perfect alignment will never be achieved so you minimise it!  get
alignment as close as possible and then try a little creative shaving of the
door without completly cutting the outer skin off the inner skin where they
are crimped together.   a tedious job?  not the job for the average
hobbyist!  and if you are running out of alignment then ya start bending
things!  but in order to coach you through that, who ever is doing the
bending and where and how much bending must be done is a bit of rocket
science!   not what ya wanted to hear.  shimming hinges is not the answer.
they shimmed the striker after the door aligned.  it can be made to look
good with minimising the door's misalignment.   but it's not as easy as
loosening some screws and shifting the door and retightening it.   sorry.

chuck.