Re: Disappointed...again

To: <GMGoodman@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Disappointed...again
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:48:43 -0400
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
i gotta chime in here just a tad bit?   since i get to se ea lot of difrent
reproductions for numerous types and era's of cars i have an idea what's
going on.   in the american muscle car market there is a very strong club
structure that wil all but bury bad reproductions.  bad is anything from
poor finish or a finish that does not last even a year to poor fitting
components.   in the brit. car market i see a serious lack of unity in the
owners and a common voice that they report to that has enough clout to
demand better parts or replicas.   for the most part the comunity seems to
accept  almost anything that will work.  it has been along those lines for
so many years that some rather poor quality stuff has become common place!
now before i ruffle the feathers of evryone let me qualify something.  i'm
set up as a distributor for 3 major brit. restoration suppliers!  i do not
advertise or sell anything through any publications or through any of the
lists i subscribe to!  i use my purchasing power strictly for my own in
house efforts!  i will not compete with any of the established suppliers!
in no way am i interested in playing "competition" with anyone whom i have
grown a friendship either personally or long distance through the
comunications over phone or computer!    that all being said i have had
ocasion to hold difrent bits from difrent suppliers and physically see some
of the vast difrences in quality (or lack thereof).   and seriously
comparing parts for sprites and midgets to 55-57 chevy, mustang, corvette
and a few others wich i have had to become intimately familiar with , our
parts are at best second rate!   oh there are some real nice bits here and
there.   remember sheet metal before BMHT certification?   if you do then
you must love the stuff we get now! the old stuff looked pretty good until
you held it up and found it was so far off you were in serious trouble!
yes!  things have improved from over 20 years ago!  but in comparison to
other marques being restored there is still a lot of room for improvement!
on the other hand, look at my vintage 2 stroke saab affliction!  very-very
few restoration parts of any quality and even fewer NOS parts left and a
incredibly deminishing supply of 40 plus year old parts cars to salvage
parts from(and no catalogs !  just numbers to call and ask questions with
the hopes of some kind of favorable response!)!  so from a saab point of
view we can restore any car we want from a catalog!  from a corvette point
of view we are doing the best with what little we have.    who has the very
best gas cap?  where's it going to come from?  probably from a list
member..........who i'd trust any day of the week before i trust some
individuals whom i do not know or have ever met........

chuck.
29 years of bliss with the same bugeye!  (hey it likes me better than my
first wife did...lol!)  ...c.   :)