Re: footwell floor replacement help

To: JHa2297255@netscape.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: footwell floor replacement help
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 08:18:52 EDT
In a message dated 4/18/03 10:33:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
JHa2297255@netscape.net writes:

> Obviously I should have just made them thicker to start, (argh hindsight). I
> am leaning towards the "epoxy over it" idea, as I think this would also
> make waterproof?

Yeah--18 guage is probably the minimum for replacement--I think if I had the
problem I would bite the bullet, go get some 18 guage or thicker material and
go ahead and replace the 20 guage (also think about getting the proper panels
from the usual suspects--they have moldings built into them that provide more
stiffening and support).  Because you already have the car stripped out for
the job and it will be easier now than later when you would have to remove
everything again.  Coating over it is suspect--I am not sure it will do the
stiffening job plus it just gives you another layer between which water can
collect and start the rusting process all over again.  And epoxy will crack
upon flexing, which is what the floor panels do, allowing moisture access to
that in-between area.

Just my loose change on the subject.

--David C.