Re: Riviera blue

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Subject: Re: Riviera blue
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:07:55 -0500
I understand your dilema. The artificial intelligence module that Mark
developed works a little too well.

You see, there is a need in the mailing list protocol for a periodic system
check. Mark thought that it would be less offensive to develop a specialty
module than to have a message go out every hour that said something like
"All systems are go" or "Nine o'clock and all is well".

So he named the module "Cap'n Bob" and randomized the delay. The module
automatically gleans words from preceeding posts and attempts to form
rational-looking sentences. If he had only told us that there really wasn't
any such person as Cap'n Bob, we probably would have laughed and appreciated
the way it appears almost human.

Unfortunately, none of are immune to hubris and Mark is no exception. He was
so proud of the algorithms that he had developed to synthesize messages that
he has perpetuated the myth of Cap'n Bob; going so far as to put up pictures
purporting to be Cap'n Bob and his Bugeye. I think he is tampering with the
results, too. Some of the messages are just too slick for the algorithm.
Perhaps Mark is assuming the persona?

I AM KIDDING FOLKS!!!
David Lieb
1972 RWA Midget