Re: Air Compressor

To: James Gruber <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>, Spridget <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air Compressor
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 10:10:25 -0400
Jim:

I may need to go back to my message and see my typos.

I was specifying 5HP compressors, not 5CFM.  At least I
meant to.  I agree that 5CFM is almost useless for any kind
of auto shop work.

But your comparison of your 5HP compressor to mine
illustrates the issue I have with using HP ratings to
compare compressors.  The important spec to go by is the CFM
rating.  Is yours an oiless?  I believe those are typically
over rated with respect to horsepower, as in the little
Harbor Freight pancake compressor I got a while back that's
supposed to be 2HP but can run, according to HF and in
actuality, on a 15A 120V line.  In other words, not a "real"
2hp.  I have a 1HP Sears (my 30 year old one) that could
never run on a 15A line.

But the pancake was acquired to be portable and to run my
nailers.  4CFM is enough for that.

And then the 5HP gas models bring a whole new perspective to
these specs.

There may be more involved with the type of pumps on these
as well.  Both my 1HP and 5HP Sears units are twin
cylinder.  I have never had a two stage machine, but my
nephew had what was supposed to be a two-stage 5HP machine
and it couldn't keep up with a pressurized sandblaster.
Mine (the 5HP) has no problem with this at all.  I know
two-stage develops higher pressure, but maybe sometimes
that's at the expense of CFM.

Maybe this time, my CFMs and HPs are all in the right place.

Jim