Button Willow

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Button Willow
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 08:04:20 -0700
We left Salinas at o-dark-thirty on Saturday morning in the pouring rain
heading for Button Willow raceway. We stopped for breakfast in Paso Robles
and messed around there for a while, in the pouring rain, before heading
across highway 46 to Interstate 5 and Button Willow, in the pouring rain.

We arrived about 10 AM and found Jon Paschke from the Spridget list at the
Funkana setup where he was waiting for participants to start showing. We
chatted with Jon for a few minutes then went looking for Mike MacLean. We
found Mike's Bugeye but never saw Mike. By this time the rain was no longer
pouring, just intermittent. Did I mention that the wind was also blowing?

Did I mention that weather wise it was a real crappy day but did not seem to
interfere very much with the racing :-)

This was my first trip to Button Willow and it is not a great spectator
track. There is only one spot where you can get higher than the track and
that spot only holds about 50 people. Looks like the track was intended just
for the racers. The parking is pretty much all mixed in with the pit area
and you can park where ever you want. Maybe now that they have the British
car show they will get more spectators and make some changes. BTW congrats
on the 1st place Mike. There were only two Bugeyes in the show but they were
both very nice.

One very fast Bugeye and a couple of very fast Spridgets waxed the field in
the Sprite-Mini Challenge. The winning Bugeye sported the Walker Bonnet
(http://www.ado13.com/bw/bw.html) made by Speedwell (Tom Colby). It pretty
much ran away from the pack.

Larry Miller