Re: Cleaning mag wheels

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning mag wheels
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 23:01:17 -0400
Okay,  I'll have to throw my two cents or what ever in this
conversation/discussion.
If you are trying to remove oxidation (calcium salt depoists) from aluminum
whatever a good safe 'chemical' to use is "Salt X" or "Salt Terminator"
found at most marine stores.  It will remove oxidation yet will not hurt the
finished surface.  It is bio-degradable, non-toxic, and safe.  No protection
required, you can apply it with your bare hands. It can be used on rough
castings as well as finished/polished surfaces without any
staining/streaking/changing colors.   It also cleans chromed/plated surfaces
without harm.  I have been using it for the last two + years on my boat
without any ill effects.  I would love to know what the 'active' ingredient
is.  It looks like blue water, no ordor.  I 'think' the active part may be a
polycarboxylic sequestrant as they are biodegradable and nontoxic.

Biff Jones
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
'71 Midget 'Freebie' under restoration
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Sprite Spree '03  Tomorrow  http://www.justbrits.com/spreefront.html