My latest pride and joy

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: My latest pride and joy
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 12:25:50 EDT
For all of you not at Sprite Spree and those who will read this a few days
later:

My red bugeye arrived from Florida two days ago.
1275, five speed, header, front disc brakes.

I drove from the local greaser gas station where it was dropped off to my
house. Lack of license plates, and a front seat which would not go back
prevented me from doing too much of a test drive.

Not knowing the shift pattern of the five speed, and having the local dirt
track racers watching me, caused me to yank off the shift knob (which was
being held in place by some wadded up masking tape. After that I found
reverse and left without further embarrassment. Not that the locals hold me
in such high regard anyway. To them I am the guy with the 3 MGs, never minded
that one is a TR4A and the other two Bugeyes.

The car is driver. Needs some work on the interior, few electrical issues
sorted out, and some minor body work. I was hoping to get it in shape to make
a one day run down to Sprite Spree, but the DMV is still giving me some
grief, and it was raining hard. The prospect of getting arrested, soaked and
missing my wife's birthday did not seem like the smartest of things to do.

When I started going through all of the stuff in the car, I got sick. really
sick. Boxes of NOS parts, brand new wiring harness, only hooked up to half of
the stuff, brand new bumper and bracket, being held in with one bolt, the
wrong one at that. Only two bolts on the each of the bonnet hinges, with only
one tight. Surprisingly once I removed the bumper the bonnet fits really
nicely. For the engine and tranny seem strong, with no liquids squirting out.
The header downsizes back to the standard exhaust system. The interior, is
just plain ugly. Paper thin brand new rubber mats, over undersized carpeting.
The formica wood patterned dash is cracked. Speedo and Tach in place but not
hooked up. You can actually rotate them as if to get the needles to point
straight up. Temp/Oil gauge looks like it has been run over. Of course the
needles do not move. The radio kind of loose, and where the antenna wire and
speaker wires are too long just left to dangle. Not even coiled up.

All of this is fixable, and nothing to keep me from driving the car. But here
is the sickening part. In the paper work, is a a computer print out of the
costs. $6100. for the car and 13,200 in restoration!! Geez, no wonder the guy
gave up. I mean with a little tweaking the car will be at best 10 feet, 10
mph car.

Repair issues:

I started to change the front shocks, but was stuck to the fulcrum pin.
Seemed like I had two choices, get out the sawzall or the torch (right after
I double the fire insurance policy). Suggestions?

The brake light switch is stuck on. Can this be removed from the connector,
and cleaned up? This appears to a "later" model with the small electrical
connectors. An interesting splice was made on the Brand New Harness. Geez
again.

I need weather stripping for the doors, and back of the bonnet. Anyone know
of good source? And no I am not going to sink another $13,000 in to this
thing.

Any chance of dying the vinyl seats (from Maroon) to black?

Anyone have a pair of bonnet holding stays, they will sell for a reasonable
price?

The tach in place is a later model with the orange and red segments. Is there
anyway to get a plain black electric tach?

David Oliner